Money matters

Can you afford it?

Living independently may be more expensive than you think. Before you move out and get your own place, you'll have to work out a budget and plan how you're going to pay for a deposit and rent in advance, as well as all your other household expenses. You can get more tips on managing your money here.

Help with housing costs

If you're on a low income, you could be eligible for housing benefit, which will help you pay your rent. You may be able to get help with your deposit from a rent deposit scheme, and you can also apply for a budgeting loan to help you pay for rent in advance or other essentials.

Claiming benefits

You may be eligible for other benefits, although if you're 16 or 17 or a student, different rules apply. In an emergency, if you've got no money at all, you could try applying for a crisis loan.

Leaving care or disabled?

If you're leaving care, the council may be responsible for supporting you. Find out more about support for care leavers here. If you're disabled, there are additional benefits you can claim. Care leavers and disabled people can also apply for a community care grant, which can help you get started in your own place.

Young parents

If you have children, you'll probably be entitled to extra financial support. Find out how you can get help to pay for housing here.

Rent arrears and other debts

If you're struggling with debts, don't bury your head in the sand. The sooner you act, the sooner your problems can be sorted. The section on rent arrears explains what you can do if you can't pay your rent, and you can get advice on dealing with other debts here. Remember, it's never too late to talk to an adviser - no matter how bad your debts may seem, there's always something you can do.

Speak to a Shelter Scotland adviser

Call Shelter Scotland's free housing advice helpline

0808 800 4444
9am-5pm, Monday to Friday

Email an adviser

You can also email a housing adviser. We aim to respond within three working days.

Was this page helpful?