Antisocial behaviour

This section explains what antisocial behaviour is. What you can do about it if you are having problems in your area. If your neighbours are complaining about you, these pages will also help you to work out where you stand.

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England
This content applies to Scotland only
Get advice if you're in England

  • What is antisocial behaviour?

    This page explains what antisocial behaviour is in the eyes of the law and gives some examples.

  • Dealing with antisocial behaviour

    Whether you rent or own, there are a variety of things you can do to stop problems in your neighbourhood. Get practical tips on what you can do to try and alleviate the problem.

  • Private landlords and antisocial behaviour

    Most landlords of privately rented properties have to register with the council and take responsibility for antisocial behaviour that occurs in properties that they rent out. Find out more.

  • Antisocial behaviour orders

    If antisocial behaviour is a problem, your local council or registered social landlord might be able to get an antisocial behaviour order to stop it.

  • What to do about an ASBO

    If the council, or a registered social landlord, has applied for an antisocial behaviour order against you, or someone in your household, this page gives you some guidance.

  • How to avoid complaints

    If you get on with your neighbours they are less likely to complain and are more likely to talk to you about any problems that do come up.

  • Eviction and antisocial behaviour

    If you rent it is possible that you could be evicted for antisocial behaviour in some circumstances. It also depends on who your landlord is and what kind of tenancy you have.

  • Other solutions

    If the council decides that it isn't appropriate to apply for an antisocial behaviour order, there might be other things they can do to help. This section takes a look at some other possible solutions.

  • Antisocial behaviour and children

    There are various things that can be done to stop children behaving antisocially. Whether the children are yours or someone else's, this section explains the options.

Speak to a Shelter Scotland adviser

Call Shelter Scotland's free housing advice helpline

0808 800 4444
9am-5pm, Monday to Friday

Email an adviser

You can also email a housing adviser. We aim to respond within three working days.

Was this page helpful?