Paying for care and support

There are many ways that you can receive care and support: living in your own home, in sheltered accommodation or in a care home. This section looks at how to pay for care and support and what help is available.

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England
This content applies to Scotland only
Get advice if you're in England

  • Paying for care at home

    To get care at home following an assessment by social work, you may have to pay for some help. How much you pay for care will depend on a decision by social work.

  • Self-directed support

    If you require community care services or children's services in your home, you may be able to get money from the council so that you can arrange and pay for your care services yourself.

  • Paying for a care home

    If you are moving into a care home, find help to pay for the costs of your care home.These include personal care,nursing care and everyday living costs such as food.

  • Paying for sheltered housing

    Find out what financial help you may be able to get to pay your accommodation costs if you are staying in sheltered housing.

  • Paying for housing support services

    If you are receiving housing support services you will either have to pay for them yourself or, if you have a low income, you may be able to get help to pay for this from

Speak to a Shelter Scotland adviser

Call Shelter Scotland's free housing advice helpline

0808 800 4444
9am-5pm, Monday to Friday

Email an adviser

You can also email a housing adviser. We aim to respond within three working days.

Was this page helpful?