Repairs in private rented accommodation

This section explains your rights if you are a private tenant and your home is in need of repair. Find out who has responsibility for different types of repairs and what you can do if your landlord refuses to carry out repairs.

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England
This content applies to Scotland only
Get advice if you're in England

  • Responsibility for repairs

    Which types of repairs private landlords are responsible for and which are the tenant's responsibility. Your landlord must keep your home up to a level of repair known as the 'repairing standard'.

  • Getting repairs done

    If your private rented accommodation needs repairing, let your landlord know as soon as possible. Check how to get your landlord to accept responsibility for repairs.

  • Furniture and equipment

    If you rent furnished accommodation, your landlord should replace or mend fittings, furniture and equipment or become unusable or unsafe through everyday wear and tear.

  • First Tier Tribunal for Scotland

    The Housing and Property Chamber of the First Tier Tribunal for Scotland is there to help tenants if their accommodation is not up to a certain standard.

  • Help from the council

    If the state of your home is affecting your health, your local council's environmental health department may be able to help you take action.

  • While repairs are being done

    This page looks at problems which may arise while repairs are being carried out, including what you can do if the repairs are disruptive, or if you have to move out while repairs are being

  • Repairs not done properly

    This section explains what you can do if repair work is not carried out properly.

  • Doing repairs yourself

    What you need to do if you have to arrange for repairs to be carried out yourself. This may be because you are responsible for the damage or because your landlord is refusing to do

Speak to a Shelter Scotland adviser

Call Shelter Scotland's free housing advice helpline

0808 800 4444
9am-5pm, Monday to Friday

Email an adviser

You can also email a housing adviser. We aim to respond within three working days.

Was this page helpful?