Common questions, quick answers
Certain questions crop up again and again when people contact Shelter for advice. To find solutions to some of the most common problems, use the links below.
Finding a place to live
- I want to rent from a private landlord.
- I want to rent from my council.
- What is a housing association?
- What is an allocation policy?
- I want to buy a home.
- What is shared ownership?
- I'm a student.
- I need somewhere to stay tonight.
- What is homelessness?
- What are my rights?
- I know someone who is sleeping rough, how can I help?
- How does the council investigate if I am homeless?
Paying for your home
- What do I need to know about paying rent?
- What do I need to know about deposits?
- Can I get help to pay my rent?
- What is local housing allowance?
- My landlord won't return my deposit.
- I don't understand anything about mortgages.
- What kind of tenancy do I have?
- I live with my landlord, what are my rights?
- I'm a student living in halls of residence, what are my rights?
- Does my landlord have to be registered?
- I rent privately, how do I get my landlord to carry out repairs?
- I rent from the council, how do I get my landlord to carry out repairs?
- I rent from a housing association/RSL, how do I get my landlord to carry out repairs?
Families and households
- I'm not getting on with my flatmate.
- My partner and I are splitting up.
- Someone in my household has died.