There are growing signs of affordable housing shortages in the Dundee City area.
- In Dundee City there were 22,522 social rented sector homes in 2011-2012.
- Right to Buy resulted in the loss of 2,017 affordable homes between 2001-2002 and 2011-2012.
- In the last year 78 social sector properties have been lost through sale or demolition.
- There were 317 households living in temporary accommodation in March 2013, including 127 children.
- There were 1,163 households assessed as homeless in 2012-2013.
- The number of households on the council waiting list was 5,846 in March 2012, but only 1,023 new lets were available in 2011-12. This means that it would take over 5 years to clear the current waiting list.
- The total number of households on the main council housing list, which includes the transfer list, was 7,731 in March 2012.
- 43,000 properties in Dundee City currently fail the Scottish Housing Quality Standard.
Dundee City needs more affordable homes.
Some of the housing terms used on this page are defined in our policy and practice glossary.
Operation of the Homeless Persons legislation in Scotland: 2012-13, July 2013, Scottish Government
Annual Performance and Statistical Return: 2011-12, Scottish Housing Regulator.