There are growing signs of affordable housing shortages in the Dundee City area.
- In Dundee City there were 21,341 social rented sector homes in 2012-2013.
- Right to Buy resulted in the loss of 1,840 affordable homes between 2002-2003 and 2012-2013.
- There were 285 households living in temporary accommodation in March 2014, including 106 children.
- There were 1,101 households assessed as homeless in 2013-14, a reduction from 1,163 in 2012-2013.
- The number of households on the council waiting list was 5,732 in March 2013, but only 857 new lets were available in 2012-13. This means that it would take 7 years to clear the current waiting list.
- The total number of households on the main council housing list, which includes the transfer list, was 7,518 in March 2013.
- 42,000 properties in Dundee City currently fail the Scottish Housing Quality Standard.
- 21% of households are in the private rented sector, compared to the Scottish average of 13%.
Dundee City needs more affordable homes.
Operation of the Homeless Persons legislation in Scotland: 2012-13, July 2013, Scottish Government
Annual Performance and Statistical Return: 2012-13, Scottish Housing Regulator.