There are growing signs of affordable housing shortages in the North Ayrshire area.
- In North Ayrshire there were 17,848 social rented sector homes in 2012-2013.
- Right to Buy resulted in the loss of 3,095 affordable homes between 2002-2003 and 2013-2014.
- There were 196 households living in temporary accommodation in March 2014, including 32 children.
- There were 596 households assessed as homeless in 2012-2013, up from 573 households assessed as homeless in 2012-2013.
- The total number of households on the main council housing list, which includes the transfer list, was 5,414 in March 2014.
35,000 properties in North Ayrshire currently fail the Scottish Housing Quality Standard.
- 9% of households are in the private rented sector, compared to the Scottish average of 13%.
North Ayrshire needs more affordable homes.
Operation of the Homeless Persons legislation in Scotland: 2013-14, June 2014, Scottish Government
Annual Performance and Statistical Return: 2012-13, Scottish Housing Regulator.