There are growing signs of affordable housing shortages in the North Ayrshire area.
- In North Ayrshire there were 17,848 social rented sector homes in 2012-2013.
- Right to Buy resulted in the loss of 3,095 affordable homes between 2002-2003 and 2013-2014.
- There were 170 households living in temporary accommodation on 31st December 2014, including 40 children in 26 families.
- There were 596 households assessed as homeless in 2012-2013, up from 573 households assessed as homeless in 2012-2013.
- The total number of households on the main council housing list, which includes the transfer list, was 5,414 in March 2014.
- 35% of occupied properties in North Ayrshire currently fail the Scottish Housing Quality Standard.
- 10% of households are in the private rented sector, compared to the Scottish average of 13%.
North Ayrshire needs more affordable homes.
Operation of the Homeless Persons legislation in Scotland: 2013-14, June 2014, Scottish Government
Operation of the Homeless Persons legislation in Scotland: Quarterly Update: July - September 2014, published January 2015, Scottish Government
Housing Statistics for Scotland 2014: Key trends summary, August 2014, Scottish Government.
Annual Performance and Statistical Return: 2012-13, Scottish Housing Regulator.
Scottish House Condition Survey Local Authority Analysis 2011 - 2013, Scottish Government.
Scottish Household Survey Local Authority Analysis 2013, published February 2015, Scottish Government