There are growing signs of affordable housing shortages in the Renfrewshire area.
- In Renfrewshire there were 20,505 social rented sector homes in 2012-2013.
- Right to Buy resulted in the loss of 3,137 affordable homes between 2002-2003 and 2013-2014.
- There were 179 households living in temporary accommodation in March 2014, including 31 children.
- There were 736 households assessed as homeless in 2013-2014, a reduction from 841 in 2012-2013.
- The number of households on the council waiting list was 4,599 in March 2014, but only 1,155 new lets were available in 2013-2014. This means that it would take 4 years to clear the current waiting list.
- The total number of households on the main council housing list, which includes the transfer list, was 6,161 in March 2014.
- 55,000 properties in Renfrewshire currently fail the Scottish Housing Quality Standard.
- 11% of households are in the private rented sector, compared to the Scottish average of 13%.
Renfrewshire needs more affordable homes.
Operation of the Homeless Persons legislation in Scotland: 2013-14, June 2014, Scottish Government
Annual Performance and Statistical Return: 2012-13, Scottish Housing Regulator.