Prestigeous award nomination for Shelter Scotland's Foursquare social networking campaign
29 September 2011
Shelter Scotland’s innovative social networking campaign on location-based platform Foursquare has been recognised with a nomination in the prestigious 2011 Social Buzz Awards in the Best Use of Check-in/Location Based Services category.
Designed entirely in-house with a budget of less than £2,000, Shelter Scotland was the first UK charity to enable Foursquare users visiting its Edinburgh shops to ‘check in’ their location while checking out the merchandise and earn special discounts and win prizes. The charity is to roll out the service across all its shops in time for Christmas.
Some of the UK’s top marketing agencies including 1000 heads, Lbi, Fishburn Hedges and SapientNitro and leading brands such as Heineken, Nokia, Sony UK, TopShop and Dominos Pizzas are all up for awards.
The awards recognise the best use of social media such as twitter, Facebook, Foursquare, videos and blogs.
Gordon MacRae, Head of Communications and Policy at Shelter Scotland, said:
“This Social Buzz nomination is fantastic recognition for our work to engage a new generation of Shelter Scotland supporters. It pays testament to our determination to be at the forefront of digital media and social networking to help us in our fight against homelessness.
“We wanted to do more than just putting our shops on Foursquare by making it a rewarding experience for our supporters. We were delighted to be the first charity to use everything that Foursquare offers and thrilled that our two-person in-house team has been recognised in this way.”
Winners are announced at a glittering ceremony in Wembley Stadium on Thursday 1st December.
Notes to Editors:
1. Shelter Scotland provides expert support services, online advice and a free national helpline for everyone facing housing and homelessness difficulties. For advice and support visit http://scotland.shelter.org.uk or call 0808 800 4444.
2. To visit our Foursquare service, go to http://4sq.shelter.org.uk/
3. Spokespeople are available for interview - call the media office on 0844 515 2442.
4. Follow Shelter Scotland on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/shelterinscotland Twitter – http://twitter.com/shelterscotland
5. This is a Shelter Scotland initiative in partnership with the social network Foursquare. It has no relation with the homelessness charity Four Square (Scotland)
Shelter Scotland believes everyone should have a home. We help people find and keep a home. We campaign for decent housing for all.