Homes fit for the 21st century: Shelter Scotland Briefing
By: Shelter Scotland Published: February 2011
Initial Briefing from Shelter Scotland on the Scottish Government's Strategy and Action Plan for Housing 2011-2020
- Homes fit for the 21st century (PDF 98.0 KB)
- The Scottish Government has produced a ten year strategy focused on increasing housing supply and getting the housing system to work more flexibly.
- Shelter Scotland believes the paper is a helpful contribution to meeting the challenges of the next decade.
- We particularly welcome funding suggestions on empty homes; reform of Right to Buy; streamlining regulation of private renting; commitments to security of tenure for tenants; and increasing people's awareness of their housing options.
- Assurances and greater detail are needed on; making housing allocations more flexible; supporting homeless people to prevent homelessness; the possible introduction of "probationary" tenancies; and improving conditions for homeless families in temporary housing.