Housing debate briefing: 1 May 2008
By: Shelter Scotland Published: May 2008
A briefing for MSPs ahead of the Housing Debate on motion S3M-1812.
- Housing debate briefing: 1 May 2008 (PDF 37.0 KB)
Shelter welcomes the profile given to housing issues in motion S3M-1812.
The key points in this document are:
- Despite media reports of falling house prices, house price inflation continues in Scotland. This means that acute affordability problems are as pressing as ever.
- Ministers should spell out how many affordable rented homes will be built 2008-11.
- Shelter welcomes reforms to the Right to Buy to bring it into the twenty-first century.
- Based on an assessment of investment needs, ministers should bring forward a range of alternative ways of raising sufficient finance, in the absence of large-scale stock transfer.