Preventing Homelessness and Reducing Reoffending - Insights from service users of the Supporting Prisoners; Advice Network, Scotland
By: Shelter Scotland Published: September 2015
This reports details the findings of in-depth interviews with 16 service users of the Supporting Prisoners; Advice Network about their experience of housing, homelessness and the strong link with re-offending.
- Preventing Homelessness and Reducing Reoffending (PDF 246.5 KB)
Key themes include:
- The importance of house as home
- Belongings being at risk
- The importance of friends and family in helping to maintain a tenancy
- The right home prevents reoffending
- Fear of hostels
- Stress and depression
- Lack of knowledge
- Communication with professionals
The report makes strategic and operational recommendations based on the insights form our service users and Shelter Scotland's 15 year history of delivering specialist services to this group.