Skip to main content

Alternative dispute resolution

Sometimes legal action is not always the most effective way of resolving a housing problem, this page looks at what alternative solutions are available.

What is alternative dispute resolution?

Alternative dispute resolution (or 'ADR') is just a fancy name for a way of sorting out your problem in an informal way, out of court. There are several forms of ADR in Scotland; this section looks at the main ones. It's important to remember that ADR isn't a substitute for legal advice and won't be appropriate in all cases. If you're not sure what's best for you, speak to a solicitor.


If you are in dispute with someone about a particular issue and you both agree that it has to be sorted out, you can pick an independent expert called an 'arbitrator' to make a decision.

The chosen arbitrator can be an expert in the subject, such as a surveyor, and they don't have to have legal qualifications. An arbitrator can make decisions on the facts of your case and also on the law. However, if necessary, the arbitrator can refer the case to the Court of Session for a further opinion on the law.


Mediation is a dispute resolution process which involves an independent mediator. A mediator is someone who doesn't take sides, but whose job is to help you and the person you're in disagreement with to find a solution to the problem. You and your opponent, not the mediator, decide what will happen and the terms of any agreement you make. The process is voluntary, so you cannot force the person or organisation you have a problem with to take part and you can't be forced to take part either.

You don't have to stick to the agreement you make in a mediation session. However, a binding agreement can be formed if both sides agree and a signed mediated agreement is produced. If there is such an agreement in place, it means that the courts can make either side do what they agreed to if necessary. However, people tend to stick to what they've agreed to in mediated agreements because they have come up with the terms of their agreement themselves.

Mediation can help with a variety of problems that affect your house including:

Different mediation services are available across Scotland. Contact the Scottish Mediation Network or the Scottish Community Mediation Network to find out what's available in your area.

The Scottish Government has produced a useful booklet about resolving disputes, which provides more information about the different kinds of Dispute Resolution. You can also find more information by going to the Advice Finder website.

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're England

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us

Was this page helpful?

This feedback tool can't offer advice. If you still need help, please call our free housing helpline on 0808 800 4444

Would you recommend Shelter Scotland's website to a friend, colleague or family member?
(0 - not at all likely, 10 - extremely likely)

Your feedback is being submitted

Success! Thank you for your feedback.

If you'd like to hear more about our work at Shelter Scotland, you can sign up to receive updates on our campaigns page.

Sorry, there was a problem sending your feedback to us. Please try again or contact us via the website if this error persists.

The fight isn't over - support us this summer

far from fixed campaign logo
It’s a disgrace that people are still homeless in Scotland today. Join our campaign
It’s a disgrace that people are still homeless in Scotland today.
Find out more about volunteering with Shelter Scotland
Volunteer with Shelter Scotland
Have you had a bad housing experience? Tell us about your story.
Share your story of a bad housing experience