Skip to main content

View our coronavirus (COVID-19) housing advice

Subletting if you are a tenant

If you want to take in a lodger or sublet your home, different rules apply depending on the kind of tenancy agreement you have. This section explains whether you are likely to be able to take in a lodger or sublet your home and what your responsibilities are as a landlord to your new tenant.

You can find out what kind of tenant you are here if you're not sure.

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're in England

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us