Skip to main content

View our coronavirus (COVID-19) housing advice

Scottish building standards and regulations

If you want to carry out repairs or improvements to your home, you may need to get a building warrant and or planning permission from the council's building standards department, to show that the work you're planning complies with the Building (Scotland) Regulations 2004. This section looks at the kind of work that requires a warrant and how you can go about getting one.

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're in England

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us