Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

We are here to help. Visit our coronavirus and housing information page for advice on your rights and the latest legislation.

Moving home

Moving - Private rented homes

The government's stay at home guidance makes it clear that people should stay in their homes for the duration of the lockdown period except in very limited circumstances. 

If you had plans to move during this time, you'll probably need to: 

  • postpone the move 
  • negotiate with both your old and new landlord regarding the start and end dates of both tenancies 

For example, if you've already signed a tenancy agreement, you could negotiate a new start date so you don't have to start paying rent before you can move. 

Landlords, agents and tenants will need to work together and show goodwill in order to comply with the public health guidance over the coming weeks.

Moving - home owners

The Scottish Government has issued guidance for people who are in the process of buying or selling their home. They recommend whilst the lockdown is in operation you should, if possible, delay the move and in all situations you should speak to your solicitor first. 

Private residential tenancies

If you want to end the tenancy, then you will have to give the landlord 28 days notice  in writing. The notice has to state the day on which the tenancy is to end, normally the day after notice period has expired.

Find out more about private residential tenancies.

Short assured and assured tenancies

If you want to leave before the end of your tenancy, you will need to check your tenancy, It should state on your tenancy agreement whether you can do this and how much notice you have to give.

Even if this is not mentioned on the tenancy agreement, you may be able to come to an arrangement with your landlord.

Find out more about short assured tenancies and assured tenancies.

Common law tenancies

if you are a common law tenant (such as a tenant of purpose built student accommodation) you should check if there is a break clause in your tenancy agreement that allows you to leave the property early. If there isn't a break clause you will then need to negotiate with your landlord to see if they can leave your tenancy early.

Find out more about common law tenancies.

Tenants of Unite Students

Unite Students, a provider of purpose built student accommodation, has announced that they are going to allow students to cancel they accommodation if they are not intending to return for the summer term.

If you are a tenant of Unite Students you have until 10th April to inform them of your intention not to return.

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're in England

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us