Being evicted from social rented housing

Social rented housing is housing provided by councils, housing associations and housing co-ops.

They have to follow special legal procedures to evict tenants. This section explains these procedures and what you may be able to do to prevent the eviction. It also explains your rights if you are facing eviction from temporary homeless accommodation.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Being evicted from a Scottish secure tenancy

Eviction of council and housing association tenants - what the council needs to do.

Grounds or reasons for eviction from social rented housing

If your landlord wants to evict you, they have to provide a reason or ground. This page lists the reasons that can be used by councils. Depending on the reason, you may be offered alternative accommodation.

Eviction of short Scottish secure tenants

Short Scottish secure tenants can be evicted more easily than Scottish secure tenants. This page explains more about the eviction process.

Can the council evict me from temporary accommodation?

This page explains if you can be evicted from and what happens if you are evicted from temporary accommodation provided by the council when you made a homeless application.

Abandoning a tenancy

Your landlord can end your tenancy if you don't tell them you're leaving. Abandonment procedures are different from steps to evict you. Find out what you can do.

Last updated: 14 October 2020

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England

Get homeless help from the council

The council must help if you are homeless or likely to become homeless in the next two months.

Apply to the council as homeless