Sheltered housing

If you are considering your housing options and want to know more about sheltered housing, this page has a brief overview and some helpful links.

What is sheltered housing?

Sheltered housing gives older people the independence of having their own flat with the security of having an alarm system and a warden. The flats are usually small self-contained units or single rooms in a complex, which often has a communal social area. It is possible to find sheltered housing to rent or to buy.

What does the warden do?

The sheltered housing staff should check on you every day and should be able to assist you in an emergency. They would not be expected to provide care or do things like shopping.

Can I get additional care?

If you require additional services you can still have care provided by the social work department, such as meals on wheels or someone to come in to get you up in the morning or to help you wash or do your housework.

Or you could move into very sheltered housing or sheltered housing that provides extra care. These can include the provision of meals or help with household chores.

Who provides sheltered housing?

A number of housing providers have sheltered housing complexes:

Visit the Elderly Accommodation Counsel (EAC) website to search through lots of housing options and find advice services to help you if you have any problems or need further information.

Do I have to rent a flat or can I buy one?

It is sometimes possible to buy a flat in a sheltered housing complex. If you already own your home, it may be easier for you to buy than to rent as home owners are usually not given priority on waiting lists to rent from the council or a housing association.

How do I pay for sheltered housing?

How you pay for sheltered housing will depend on whether you buy or rent and what your financial situation is.

Where can I find out more?

For further information about sheltered housing, go to Age Scotland.

If you need housing advice, contact us for free.

Last updated: 29 December 2014

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England