Adapting your home for a disability

Your home may not be suitable for you if you are elderly or disabled and can't get around the property or use all the facilities. You may be able to get adaptations done to solve this problem - grants are available to pay for these adaptations, depending on your circumstances. This section also looks at your options if it isn't possible to adapt your home satisfactorily.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

Getting adaptations done

This page looks at how you can work out what kind of adaptations you'd benefit from, how you can get help paying for adaptations and what you can do if it isn't possible to adapt your home.

Disabled adaptations in council and housing association homes

Check what you need to do if you have a Scottish secure tenancy or short Scottish secure tenancy and you need to carry out adaptations to make your home more suitable for your needs.

Discrimination - Adaptations in private rented housing

If you rent from a private landlord, you need to ask their permission to make adaptations. But your landlord cannot refuse consent unreasonably due to the Equality Act 2010.

Adaptations if you own your home

If you own your home, you may still need to get consent to carry out adaptations. This page looks at what you need to do.

Last updated: 13 April 2017

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England