Scottish building standards and regulations

If you want to carry out repairs or improvements to your home, you may need to get a building warrant and or planning permission from the council's building standards department, to show that the work you're planning complies with the Building (Scotland) Regulations 2004. This section looks at the kind of work that requires a warrant and how you can go about getting one.

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help. Get Help

About building regulations

This page explains what building regulations and building warrants are, and what kind of work requires a warrant.

Applying for a building warrant in Scotland

Check how to apply for a building warrant from your local council and how you can ensure your plans conform to building regulations. To get a warrant, the work must conform to building regulations.

Starting and completing building work

What you should do if your plans change during building, and what to do afterwards to get a completion certificate accepted. And what you can do if work has been done without a warrant.

Last updated: 20 April 2017

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England