Scottish housing advice: coronavirus (COVID-19)

Moving and leaving home

You are currently allowed to move home and carry out tasks connected to the buying, selling and renting out of a home, for example:

  • visiting estate or letting agents

  • viewing a property that you're interested in buying or renting

  • moving into a home

  • preparing a home to move into or

  • preparing a property so that it can be sold or rented.

All persons must comply with any regulations, for example, you may need to delay a move if there are people who are self-isolating.

If you are buying or selling a home, always speak to your solicitor first.

Private residential tenancies

If you want to end the tenancy, you will have to give the landlord 28 days notice in writing. The notice has to state the day on which the tenancy is to end; usually, the day after the notice period has expired.

Find out more about private residential tenancies.

Short assured and assured tenancies

If you want to leave before the end of your tenancy, you will need to check your tenancy; It should state on your tenancy agreement whether you can do this and how much notice you have to give.

Even if this is not mentioned on the tenancy agreement, you may be able to arrange with your landlord.

Find out more about short assured tenancies and assured tenancies.

Student accommodation

The right to give 28 days notice due to coronavirus ended on 1 July 2022.

Find out more about student accommodation.

Common law tenancies

If you are a common law tenant, you should check if there is a break clause in your tenancy agreement that allows you to leave the property early. If there isn't a break clause, you will then need to negotiate with your landlord to see if they can leave your tenancy early.

Find out more about common law tenancies.

Last updated: 1 July 2022

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England