Alternatives to court action

Depending on the circumstances, it might not be appropriate to take your case to court. However, that doesn't mean that your problem will go away and you might still need a helping hand to sort it out. This section explains some of the options.

If you can't find something to help you in this section (or if you're still not sure where to turn) you might need specialist one-to-one advice from an adviser. Have a look at our Advice Services Directory to find a suitable agency near you.

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England
This content applies to Scotland only
Get advice if you're in England

  • Tribunals

    Depending on your case, you may be able to take it to a tribunal. What is a tribunal and the difference between the Land Tribunal for Scotland and the Scottish Land Court.

  • Alternative dispute resolution

    Alternative dispute resolution is a way of sorting out your problem informally, out of court. There are several forms of ADR in use in Scotland and this section looks at the main ones.

  • Counselling

    If you need some extra support, you could think about going to see a trained counsellor. This page explains what counselling is and how it can help you.

Speak to a Shelter Scotland adviser

Call Shelter Scotland's free housing advice helpline

0808 800 4444
9am-5pm, Monday to Friday

Email an adviser

You can also email a housing adviser. We aim to respond within three working days.

Was this page helpful?