Skip to main content

View our coronavirus (COVID-19) housing advice

Complaining about a letting agency

This page gives some advice and tips if you want to complain about a letting agency (also known as accommodation or management agencies).

What can I complain about?

Letting agencies are private businesses that are run to make a profit.

If you're a tenant and you're dealing with a letting agency, your landlord will either be:

  • the letting agency itself, or
  • a private landlord who's paying the letting agency to look after their property and rent it out to you.

Whatever the situation is, you don't have to put up with bad service or unfair treatment from a letting agency and you can complain about anything you're not happy with, including:

  • bad service
  • rude members of staff at the agency
  • being charged an illegal premium
  • the state of your accommodation if you're already a tenant (see 'how do I complain about repairs' below).

The Letting Agent Code of Practice

From 31 January 2018 any person working for or as a letting agent has to adhere to the Letting Agent Code of Practice. The code practice should help tenants and landlords understand what they should expect if they rent a property through a letting agent.

Under the code a letting agent must:

  • Carry out their business in a way that complies with all appropriate legislation.
  • Be honest, open, transparent and fair in their dealing.
  • Provide information in a clear and accessible way.
  • Apply all procedures and policies consistently and reasonably.
  • Carry out services provided using reasonable care and skill.
  • Make sure all staff and any subcontractors comply with the code and any other legal requirements
  • Keep records to show that a they have met the requirements of the code.
  • Make sure that all private information is handled sensitively and in line with legal requirements.
  • Respond to all enquiries and complaints within reasonable timescales and in line with any written agreements.
  • Inform the appropriate person promptly of any important issues or obligations in the use of the property..
  • Not unlawfully discriminate against a landlord, tenant or prospective tenant on the basis of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief or sexual orientation.
  • Not to provide information that is deliberately or negligently misleading or false
  • Not communicate in any way that is abusive, intimidating or threatening

If you think your letting agent is not complying with the code, you should complain, in writing, to the letting agent. The complaint must be dealt with inline with the letting agent’s complaints procedure. If you are still unhappy after the letting agent has responded to the complaint you can apply to the First Tier Tribunal Housing and Property Chamber.

Find out more about the Letting Agent Code of Practice.

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're in England

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us