Skip to main content

View our coronavirus (COVID-19) housing advice

If someone is taking you to court

If someone is making a claim against you and taking you to court, there are several different procedures they can follow.

What are the different procedures?

If someone is taking you to the sheriff court, there are three different procedures they can use, depending on the situation. For example:

This section on going to court explains what these different court procedures are, how they work and what to do.

What should I do if I receive papers from the court?

If you receive any papers or other information from the court or a solicitor that mentions court action, don't ignore them. The problem won't go away and ignoring the situation could potentially make it worse for you in the long run.

If you receive any court papers (especially if you receive a summons or an initial writ) get legal advice or contact an advice agency straight away.

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're in England

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us