Eviction from your home

Landlords and letting agents have to follow specific legal procedures to evict tenants. This section tells you about the eviction process and what your rights are. It also has advice on what to do if you are facing eviction.

If your landlord can evict you and what they have to do will depend on what kind of tenancy you have. Check your tenancy type if you aren't sure.

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England
This content applies to Scotland only
Get advice if you're in England

  • Help! I'm being evicted

    This page tells you what you can do if your landlord has asked you to leave your home, and looks at how you can get help.

  • Preventing eviction

    Whatever stage eviction proceedings are at, here's what you can do to delay or prevent an eviction if your tenancy is at risk.

  • Eviction of council tenants

    Councils have to follow certain procedures to evict tenants. Check what you can do to avoid eviction. This includes their temporary homeless accommodation.

  • Eviction of RSL tenants

    Registered social landlords and housing co-ops have to follow the correct procedures to evict their tenants.

  • Eviction of private tenants

    Check the eviction process private landlords must follow to evict you from your tenancy. For assured tenants, short assured tenants and regulated tenants.

  • Eviction of common law tenants

    Common law tenants live with their landlord, in halls or stay in council temporary accommodation. Check your tenancy rights against eviction as a common law tenant.

  • Eviction from a mobile home

    If you rent or own a mobile home and rent a pitch, you will have some protection against eviction. Check what you can do if you are asked to leave.

  • Eviction of agricultural tenants

    Your rights will depend on the kind of tenancy you have and what stage your lease is at when you are asked to leave.

  • Eviction of agricultural occupiers

    Your housing rights as an agricultural worker if you live in tied accommodation (provided as part of your job) and your employment finishes.

  • Eviction of crofting tenants

    In certain circumstances, crofters can be evicted. Find out what your rights are and what you might be able to do to avoid eviction from your croft.

  • Eviction of other tenants

    For subtenants, students in halls, if your home comes with your job, council temporary housing, a hostel or refuge, supported accommodation or you live with friends or relatives.

  • Eviction if you're disabled

    If you have a disability, you have extra protection against eviction. This is to prevent your landlord from treating you unfairly because of your disability.

  • Eviction of Gypsies/Travellers

    Your rights if you're a Gypsy/Traveller and have been asked to leave a site.Explains your rights on different sites, and looks at what you can do if the police get involved.

  • Going to court for eviction

    What if your landlord applies for an eviction order? From the summons the sheriff court sends you, to what happens in court and what decisions the court can make.

  • Sheriff officers

    Most tenants can only be evicted if their landlord gets an eviction order from the court. Your landlord still doesn't have the right to make you leave, but they can get sheriff officers to evict you.

  • Illegal eviction and harassment

    Illegal eviction is when a landlord evicts a tenant without following the correct procedure. Find out more about illegal eviction here.

  • Eviction due to demolition or compulsory purchase

    If your landlord has a notice and they must demolish your home, or it will be bought by a public authority, you will probably have to move out.You still have rights and may be due compensation.

Speak to a Shelter Scotland adviser

Call Shelter Scotland's free housing advice helpline

0808 800 4444
9am-5pm, Monday to Friday

Email an adviser

You can also email a housing adviser. We aim to respond within three working days.

Was this page helpful?