Skip to main content

View our coronavirus (COVID-19) housing advice

Eviction before the end of your lease

Both limited duration tenancies (LDT) or short limited duration tenancies (SLDT)'s written leases should say how long your tenancy lasts and when your lease expires. Your landlord can only evict you before this date in special circumstances, which are outlined below.

Can my landlord evict me from my limited or short limited duration tenancy?

If you have a limited duration tenancy (LDT) or short limited duration tenancy (SLDT), your landlord can only end your tenancy before the date your lease expires if:

  • you both agree to end the tenancy on a certain date, or
  • you break a condition of your lease, or
  • you become bankrupt, or
  • your landlord needs to take the land back for non-agricultural purposes.

Agreeing to end your LDT or SLDT tenancy

You and your landlord can end the tenancy by mutual agreement at any time before the lease expires. If you have an Limited Duration Tenancy, this agreement must be in writing. If you have an Short Limited Duration Tenancy, there's no legal requirement for the agreement to be in writing, but it's always best to put your notice in writing anyway.

Eviction for breaking a condition of your lease

Your landlord may be able to evict you if you break a condition of your lease, for example if you don't pay your rent or you deliberately damage the land in some way. However, they can only do this if your written lease specifically states that breaking this condition gives your landlord the right to evict you. (This is known as an 'irritancy clause'.) Even if there is an irritancy clause in your lease, your landlord may not be able to evict you.

Your landlord must give you two months' notice to leave. Talk to a solicitor if you are in this situation - they may be able to help you prevent or delay the eviction.

Bear in mind that your landlord can't insist that you live on the land and can't use non-residency as a reason to evict you. However, your lease may require that someone with the experience and skills to run the farm lives on the land. This doesn't necessarily have to be you but you'll have to make sure that this condition is met.

Eviction if your landlord wants the land back for non-agricultural purposes

Your landlord has a right to get the land or part of the land back if they need it for non-agricultural purposes (for example, for building homes). This is known as 'resumption'.

Your landlord only has a right to do this if:

  • they require planning permission for their new project and this has been granted
  • the lease doesn't prohibit resumption of the land for that purpose
  • they give you at least one year's notice in writing.

What if my landlord only wants part of the land back?

Your landlord may only need part of the land back. If you don't want to farm the reduced holding, you can give notice on the whole tenancy yourself. You must do this within 28 days of receiving the notice to quit. This means that when you leave, you can get compensation for the tenancy of the whole farm, provided that:

  • the land the landlord wants back makes up more than a quarter of the value or area of the holding as a whole, or
  • the rest of the holding cannot reasonably be farmed on its own.

If this isn't the case, you'll only get compensation for the part the landlord originally wanted to evict you from.

If you continue to stay on the remaining land, your rent must be reduced accordingly.

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're in England

Are you homeless or at risk of becoming homeless?

I need help

The important points

  • If your landlord wants you to leave before the end of your agreement, there have to be special circumstances.
  • Your landlord cannot evict you because of non-residency, but the agreement can insist that someone who can run the farm does live on the premises.
  • If your landlord wants the land back for non-agricultural purposes they need to give you at least a year's notice.
  • Your landlord can give you a notice to quit on part of your land. If you give notice on the whole tenancy within 28 days of the original notice, you might get compensated for part or all of the land.

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us