Eviction of crofting tenants

Crofters have secure tenancy rights. However, in certain circumstances, crofters can be evicted. In addition, your landlord may also be able to resume (or repossess) the land if they have good reason. This section looks at the circumstances in which it's possible to lose your crofting tenancy, and what you can do if you're in this situation.

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England
This content applies to Scotland only
Get advice if you're in England

  • Eviction from a crofting tenancy

    Learn what the eviction grounds from a croft are, the process, and where you can get help if you're threatened with eviction. Also covers other ways in which your tenancy may be ended.

  • Resumption of crofting land

    Landlords can apply to the Land Court to resume (or repossess) your croft. They need a good reason and will have to offer you compensation.

  • Compensation

    Leaving a croft might mean you get compensation for your improvements. If you've let the land deteriorate, you may have to pay compensation when your tenancy ends.

Speak to a Shelter Scotland adviser

Call Shelter Scotland's free housing advice helpline

0808 800 4444
9am-5pm, Monday to Friday

Email an adviser

You can also email a housing adviser. We aim to respond within three working days.

Was this page helpful?