Help! I'm being evicted

This page outlines the steps you can take if your landlord has asked you to leave your home, and looks at how you can get help.

Check your rights

Landlords have to follow specific legal procedures to evict their tenants. They can't just throw you out into the street overnight. For example:

  • you should be given a certain amount of notice before you have to leave
  • your landlord may need to have a reason for evicting you (for example, because your lease has ended or you have broken a term of your tenancy agreement).

If your landlord does not follow the correct legal procedure or tries to evict you illegally, you may be able to get the eviction stopped.

How do I find out what my rights are?

Your rights will vary depending on:

  • whether you live with your landlord
  • what kind of tenancy you have.

To find out your rights, you can check your tenancy type here and then go to the relevant pages in this section. For example, if you have a Scottish secure tenancy with the council, go the section on eviction of council tenants to find out your rights.

Talk to your landlord

Make sure you find out why you are being evicted. For example, your landlord may ask you to leave because:

  • your tenancy is coming to an end (the amount of time you agreed that you could stay there)
  • you have broken a term of your tenancy agreement
  • they want to sell the property.

Ask your landlord if there is anything you can do to prevent or delay the eviction. For example, if you have not been taking good care of the property, you can repair any damage and promise to do better in the future. The page on preventing eviction has more examples.

Get help from an adviser

If your landlord wants to evict you, get advice immediately. An adviser may be able to:

  • tell you your rights
  • find out whether the eviction is legal
  • delay or prevent the eviction, depending on your circumstances
  • help you find new accommodation
  • help you make a homeless application to the council.

You can get advice from the council, Shelter Scotland's free housing advice helpline 0808 800 4444, Citizens Advice or other advice centre. Use the Advice Services Directory to find an agency near you.

Make a homeless application to the council

You don't have to be sleeping on the street to be homeless. For example, you can make a homeless application if:

  • your landlord has asked you to leave your home within the next two months
  • you are staying temporarily with friends or family
  • you are living in a hostel, a refuge or bed and breakfast accommodation.

If you think you might be homeless you can apply to your local council for help. If you are homeless, the council has to offer you:

  • advice and assistance and
  • a spell in temporary accommodation and
  • in certain circumstances, a permanent home.

I'm a landlord looking for help

If you are a private landlord and you're looking for help to evict a tenant then contact Scottish Association of Landlords or the National Landlords Association.

The important points

  • You should be given notice before you need to move out, you can't just be thrown out overnight.
  • Your rights depend on what kind of tenancy you have.
  • Some of your options include talking to your landlord so you understand why you're being evicted, getting help from an adviser and making a homeless application to your council.

Speak to a Shelter Scotland adviser

Call Shelter Scotland's free housing advice helpline

0808 800 4444
9am-5pm, Monday to Friday

Email an adviser

You can also email a housing adviser. We aim to respond within three working days.

Was this page helpful?