Families and households

This section looks at the housing issues that can arise when you live with other people, such as family members, your husband, wife or civil partner, an opposite sex or same sex partner, flatmates or housemates. It explains your rights if you share rented accommodation or move in with your partner, and also your position if your relationship breaks down or you are experiencing domestic abuse. Your rights will vary depending on the legal status of your relationship and whether you own or rent your home.

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England
This content applies to Scotland only
Get advice if you're in England

  • Sharing rented accommodation

    When you share rented accommodation, your rights depend on if you have joint or separate tenancies and who your landlord is (for example, the council or a private landlord).

  • Living together

    If you live with a partner your rights depend on if you rent or own your home and if you are married or in a civil partnership. There's no common law marriage in Scotland.

  • Living with your parents

    It's natural that you won't always see eye to eye with your parents. If you're having problems living at home, check what your options are and how you might improve relationships to let you stay.

  • Housing rights while pregnant

    Having children is one of life's biggest changes. This section explains how your legal rights in relation to housing are affected by pregnancy.

  • Relationship breakdown

    This section helps you solve posssible housing issues if you are separating from your husband, wife or partner. Your rights depend on several factors so see what your situation means you should do.

  • Domestic abuse

    How to tackle housing issues around domestic abuse: finding somewhere to live, what to do if you're homeless due to domestic abuse and how to exclude the abusive partner from your home.

  • Counselling and mediation

    This page has information on getting counselling or mediation to help work through your problems.

  • Caring for someone at home

    For carers who look after a relative, partner or friend. This section looks at how to get help from social work and other organisations, including financial support.

  • Death in the household

    This section looks at your housing rights if a member of your household dies. Your rights depend on if you rent or own your home, and what arrangements the person made before they died.

Speak to a Shelter Scotland adviser

Call Shelter Scotland's free housing advice helpline

0808 800 4444
9am-5pm, Monday to Friday

Email an adviser

You can also email a housing adviser. We aim to respond within three working days.

Was this page helpful?