The housing and homelessness charity

Shelter Scotland / England

Caring for someone at home

This section contains information for carers who are looking after a family member, partner or friend. Caring for someone at home can be rewarding, but it can also be frustrating, isolating and exhausting. However, there is help available. This section looks at how to get help from social work, benefits you may be able to claim and other organisations that can offer you help and support. It also has advice for young carers and the parents of disabled children.

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England
This content applies to Scotland only
Get advice if you're in England

  • Being a carer

    This page looks at what it means to be a carer, and explains where you can get help and support: from social work, from your GP's surgery or from carers' centres and other voluntary organisations.

  • Living arrangements

    What to consider if you're moving in with the person you care for, or if they move in with you. What you can do if neither of your homes is suitable for you both to

  • Getting a break

    It's important to find time for yourself, especially if the person you care for needs you constantly.

  • Carer's assessments

    If you care for a partner, friend or relative, you can get a carer's assessment from the social work department to see if anything would make your caring role easier.

  • Young carers

    Many young people look after a parent or another relative who is ill or disabled. Check what help and support is available.

  • Caring for a disabled child

    Find out about issues affecting people who care for children with disabilities, including help from social work and other sources, contacting other parents, and getting financial support.

  • Financial issues for carers

    Covers financial issues that affect carers and the support available, including carer's allowance and other benefits, council tax reductions, and ways to combine your work and caring responsibilities.

  • Power of attorney

    The person you look after may have someone to look after their financial and welfare rights when become too ill to do so. A power of attorney makes this possible.

  • If the person you look after dies

    How to cope if the person you care for dies. Includes dealing with practical issues that may arise. It also looks at your housing rights.

  • Useful links for carers

    This page lists useful websites that provide further information, advice and support to carers.

Speak to a Shelter Scotland adviser

Call Shelter Scotland's free housing advice helpline

0808 800 4444
9am-5pm, Monday to Friday

Email an adviser

You can also email a housing adviser. We aim to respond within three working days.

Fill out my online form.