Bereavement benefits

If your husband, wife or civil partner has died in the last year, you may be entitled to some special benefits.

Bereavement payments

Depending on your circumstances, you might be able to claim one or more of the following:

  • bereavement payment
  • widowed parent's allowance
  • bereavement allowance.

You might also be entitled to a funeral payment to help to pay for the funeral.

Find detailed information on various bereavement benefits that you might be entitled to claim.


Remember that a death in the household may also affect any benefits that are being claimed. Contact your local advice agency or benefits office for further information.

Speak to a Shelter Scotland adviser

Call Shelter Scotland's free housing advice helpline

0808 800 4444
9am-5pm, Monday to Friday

Email an adviser

You can also email a housing adviser. We aim to respond within three working days.

Was this page helpful?