Asylum seekers and refugees

This section provides information on the housing rights of asylum seekers and refugees in the UK.

It gives advice on how to access support from the UK Border Agency (formerly the National Asylum Support Service), as well as how to get help from the council if you or a member of your family needs help with an illness or disability.

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England
This content applies to Scotland only
Get advice if you're in England

  • Support for asylum seekers

    UK law on people seeking asylum has changed over the years. The date you arrived can affect the support you will receive, find out more here.

  • Support from the UK Border Agency

    How to access support and accommodation from the UK Border Agency. They provide help for certain asylum seekers with nowhere suitable to stay or no money to cover the cost of living.

  • Support from the council

    If you or your family needs help with day-to-day tasks, you might get help from the council. They have a duty to support asylum seekers who are under 18 and have come to the UK

  • Failed asylum seekers

    If your claim for asylum fails, you will probably be able to get help and support from the UK Border Agency until it is possible for you to leave the country.

  • Asylum seekers with leave to remain

    If your asylum claim has been successful then the support you received as an asylum seeker could be stopped. There are many other ways for you to access money and accommodation.

  • Useful links for asylum seekers

    This page lists organisations that provide advice and support to asylum seekers and refugees.

Speak to a Shelter Scotland adviser

Call Shelter Scotland's free housing advice helpline

0808 800 4444
9am-5pm, Monday to Friday

Email an adviser

You can also email a housing adviser. We aim to respond within three working days.

Was this page helpful?