This section has information for Gypsies/Travellers on council sites, privately run sites and unauthorised sites, including access to pitches and your rights on site. It also looks at settled housing for Gypsies/Travellers and issues surrounding homelessness.

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England
This content applies to Scotland only
Get advice if you're in England

  • About Gypsies/Travellers

    Gypsies/Travellers are people who have a travelling existence, or are from a travelling background. This page explains about who they are and gives an overview of their housing issues.

  • Gypsies/Travellers council sites

    Many councils in Scotland provide sites for Gypsies/Travellers to stay in. Check what these sites are like, how to apply for a pitch, and how to complain.

  • Private sites for Gypsies/Travellers

    Your rights if you stay on a holiday or private site run by other Gypsies/Travellers. Also include details if you want to set up a site yourself, on your own land.

  • Unauthorised Gypsy/Traveller sites

    If you don't get a pitch in a council or private site, you're staying on an unauthorised site. Find out your rights if this is your situation.

  • Permanent housing

    Some Gypsies/Travellers live in permanent, settled housing. This may be for a variety of reasons. This page looks at what you can do to access permanent housing.

  • Gypsies/Travellers and homelessness

    Gypsies/Travellers are entitled to help from the council if they have nowhere safe and permanent to live. This page looks at your rights.

  • Useful links for Gypsies/Travellers

    This page contains links to information for Gypsies/Travellers provided by councils across Scotland, and also lists other useful agencies.

Speak to a Shelter Scotland adviser

Call Shelter Scotland's free housing advice helpline

0808 800 4444
9am-5pm, Monday to Friday

Email an adviser

You can also email a housing adviser. We aim to respond within three working days.

Was this page helpful?