Renting from the council

This section explains how to go about getting housing from the council or a registered social landlord (a housing association or housing cooperative). It looks at the application process, how housing is allocated and how to deal with any problems you have applying.

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England
This content applies to Scotland only
Get advice if you're in England

  • About council housing

    Anyone over 16 can apply for council housing in Scotland. This page explains more about how to make an application for council housing.

  • Applying for housing

    More about the application process for housing from the council, a housing association or housing cooperative. How waiting lists work and how councils assess priority when allocating housing.

  • Allocation policies

    Councils, housing associations and housing cooperatives assess priority on their housing waiting lists in different ways. Work out how they might prioritise your application.

  • Challenging allocation decisions

    What you can do if you have applied for housing from the council, a housing association or co-op and are unhappy with an allocation decision or the way your application has been processed.

Speak to a Shelter Scotland adviser

Call Shelter Scotland's free housing advice helpline

0808 800 4444
9am-5pm, Monday to Friday

Email an adviser

You can also email a housing adviser. We aim to respond within three working days.

Was this page helpful?