Most owners and landlord who rent out property in Scotland are required to register with their local authority.
How do I register as a landlord?
What if I don't register as a landlord?
Any landlord who has not submitted a valid landlord registration application is letting
illegally. If the council finds out you are letting without a valid landlord registration
it will request you to apply immediately. If it has to issue two
requests, you will have to pay an additional fee of £110 on top of the normal landlord registration fees.
The maximum penalty for letting out property when not a registered landlord is £50,000. Also a ban can be imposed on being registered as a landlord in any council area for a period of up to five years.
How much does landlord registration cost?
The following fees apply in relation to landlord registration:
- principal fee - £55
- an agent fee - £55, if the agent is unregistered
- a property fee - £11 for each property you register.
If you've already completed your landlord registration and you have appointed an agent to act on your behalf since you registered, then the local council will charge a fee for the agent where the agent is not signed up to landlord registration.
Advertising your property
From 1 June 2013, when a property is advertised, landlords have to include their registration number in all adverts.
Landlord registration discounts
Some discounts apply to landlord registration fees:
- If you already have an HMO licence, you won't have to pay the principal fee for landlord registration, and will only have to pay the property fee for any properties you rent out that aren't HMOs.
- If you have to register as a landlord in more than one council area, you can get a 50% discount on each subsequent landlord registration application.
- If you apply online, you'll receive a 10% discount to your landlord registration application.
In addition, charities are exempt from paying the principal and property landlord registration fees.
Information for tenants
Our advice pages have lots of information for private tenants on landlord registration.