Neighbourhood issues

This section deals with antisocial behaviour and other problems with neighbours, including boundary disputes. It also has information on residents' associations and planning issues, and explains what you can do if you're unhappy about a planned development in your area.

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England
This content applies to Scotland only
Get advice if you're in England

  • Antisocial behaviour

    What you can do about anti social behaviour if you are having problems in your area. If your neighbours are complaining about you, this section will help you to work out where you stand.

  • Boundary disputes

    If you're not sure where the boundaries of your house or garden are, or if you've been having arguments with your neighbour about who owns what, this page can help.

  • Tenants' and residents' associations

    This page looks at what tenants' and residents' associations can achieve, and how you can set one up.

  • Neighbourhood watch

    If you're having problems with crime or vandalism, or if you just want to keep your area free of these problems, you might be interested in joining a neighbourhood watch group.

  • Planning and building work

    How you may be affected if the council, Scottish Government, your neighbours or a private company are carrying out building or development work in your area.

  • Illegal cannabis factories

    Cannabis factories are set up to mass produce cannabis. If you suspect a cannabis factory is in your area, you should report it to Crimestoppers. Cannabis factories can cause fire risks.

  • Problems with animals

    Outlines problems with animals in your area and explains what you can do if pets are causing a nuisance. It also includes what to do if you find a stray dog, or suspect animal cruelty.

  • Empty homes

    Own an empty home or have an empty home in your neighbourhood, then get some ideas about getting a property back into use or where to report an empty home.

Speak to a Shelter Scotland adviser

Call Shelter Scotland's free housing advice helpline

0808 800 4444
9am-5pm, Monday to Friday

Email an adviser

You can also email a housing adviser. We aim to respond within three working days.

Was this page helpful?