Mortgage arrears

If you fall behind with your mortgage payments you could risk losing your home. This section has advice on what you can do if you are having problems paying your mortgage.

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England
This content applies to Scotland only
Get advice if you're in England

  • Dealing with mortgage arrears

    Information and advice to help you deal with mortgage arrears.

  • Reducing mortgage payments

    Having problems paying your mortgage, then there are plenty of ways to reduce your payments, find out more here.

  • Renting out your home

    If paying your mortgage is difficult, you may be able to rent out a room, or move out and let your whole home.You need permission from your lender and understand your responsibilities to your tenants.

  • Help to pay mortgage interest

    Support for mortgage interest will pay the interest on your mortgage for up to two years.

  • Joint mortgage arrears

    If you have a joint mortgage, you are all equally liable for keeping up the repayments, even if someone moves out. The lender can pursue any one of you for the money if someone fails

  • Selling your home voluntarily

    You may decide to sell your home if you're struggling with mortgage repayments. Find out what your options are.

  • Voluntary surrender

    Voluntary repossession or voluntary surrender should only ever be a last resort so check what options you have.

  • Debt arrangement scheme

    If you have mortgage arrears and other debts, for example, credit card debt, you may be able to get help under the debt arrangement scheme. This can give you time to pay off debts at

  • Sale and rent back schemes

    Mortgage rescue schemes can allow you to keep living in your home as a tenant if you can't pay your mortgage. Schemes vary - they can help you stay in your home, but might increase

  • Mortgage to rent scheme

    If you are at risk of repossession, a mortgage to rent scheme could allow you to remain in your home as a tenant. This page explains how mortgage to rent schemes work and who is

  • Mortgage to shared equity

    If you can't afford your mortgage and have 25 per cent equity you might reduce your secured debt but keep a stake in your home.This is called the Mortgage to Shared Equity scheme.

  • Inhibitions

    If you have debts, your lender may be able to take out an inhibition, which will stop you from selling or transferring ownership of your home or taking out any further secured loans on your

  • Mortgage arrears charges

    If you've ever had mortgage arrears, your lender may have charged you 'arrears fees'. You may be able to get your money refunded for free. The fees may have been called penalties or 'unfair' charges.

Speak to a Shelter Scotland adviser

Call Shelter Scotland's free housing advice helpline

0808 800 4444
9am-5pm, Monday to Friday

Email an adviser

You can also email a housing adviser. We aim to respond within three working days.

Was this page helpful?