Renting rights

If you rent your home you will probably have a tenancy. There are several different kinds of tenancy, and your rights will depend on which kind you have. In this section you can find out which tenancy you have and what rights this gives you.

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England
This content applies to Scotland only
Get advice if you're in England

  • About your tenancy rights

    In this section you can find out what kind of tenancy you have, read an overview of your renter rights and download a tenancy agreement template.

  • Council, housing association and housing co-op tenancies

    Your rights if you rent from the council, a registered social landlord. Housing associations and housing cooperatives are both RSLs. Plus your rights if you're in temporary accommodation.

  • Private tenancies

    Find out your rights if you rent your home from from a private landlord or letting agency.

  • Houses in multiple occupation (HMOs)

    For people in bedsits, flats, lodgings, shared houses, hostels and bed & breakfast accommodation. All of these are known as houses in multiple occupation or HMOs.

  • Common law tenancies

    Common law tenancies are not regulated by specific laws. Your rights depend mainly on your tenancy agreement. Check who has common law tenancy rights and what those rights are.

  • Sharing with your landlord

    People who share accommodation with their landlord have different rights to those who rent separate property. This page explains who has a resident landlord and what your rights are if you share with your landlord.

  • Subtenants

    You will be a subtenant if you rent from a tenant who is renting the property from a landlord. This page explains your rights if you are a subtenant.

  • Student accommodation

    Find out your rights if you live in housing owned by a university or college. If you are disabled, these pages look at your right to university or college accommodation suitable for your needs.

  • Supported accommodation

    Your rights in supported accommodation will depend on the type of accommodation and the support you receive. Find out more on supported accommodation here.

  • Tied accommodation

    If your home is 'tied', that is, provided as part of your job, your rights to stay there will depend on the kind of agreement you have with your employer/landlord.

  • Mobile homes

    This section explains your rights if you own or rent a mobile home such as a caravan or park home, or you rent a pitch to station it on.

  • Agricultural tenancies

    If you rent agricultural land such as a farm or smallholding then you may have an agricultural tenancy. There are three kinds so see what this means for your housing rights.

  • Crofters' rights and responsibilities

    Crofting tenants have secure rights to stay on their land, but they also have a responsibility to use the land well. This section explains more.

  • Shared ownership rights

    Shared ownership schemes allow you to buy a share in a housing association property and pay a reduced 'rent', called an occupancy payment. See what you should ask about if you are interested.

  • Rights of disabled people

    If you have disabilities, you will have extra rights to help you deal with landlords and letting agents. See what your rights are and what to do if you feel your landlord is discriminating against you.

  • Subletting and lodgers

    If you take in a lodger or sublet all or part of your home, there are some things you need to consider. Learn about your rights and your tenant’s rights.

  • Ending a tenancy

    If you want to move out of your rented accommodation, it's important that you go through the correct process and give your landlord the correct notice. Whatever you do, don't just walk away!

  • Landlord registration

    Landlord registration ensures landlords are suitable people to let out property. How the registration process works and what the register means for tenants.

Speak to a Shelter Scotland adviser

Call Shelter Scotland's free housing advice helpline

0808 800 4444
9am-5pm, Monday to Friday

Email an adviser

You can also email a housing adviser. We aim to respond within three working days.

Was this page helpful?