Your rights in student accommodation

This section looks at your rights if you live in accommodation owned by your university or college.

If you rent from a private landlord or live in a privately run halls of residence, you will have either an assured or short assured tenancy.

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England
This content applies to Scotland only
Get advice if you're in England

  • University owned accommodation

    This page explains your rights when living in student digs, halls of residence or other university owned accommodation.

  • Disabled students' rights

    Your rights if you're a student with a disability to access suitable accommodation whilst you're studying at college or university.

Speak to a Shelter Scotland adviser

Call Shelter Scotland's free housing advice helpline

0808 800 4444
9am-5pm, Monday to Friday

Email an adviser

You can also email a housing adviser. We aim to respond within three working days.

Was this page helpful?