Other housing problems

This section looks at other housing problems which may make your home unsuitable for you to live in. It looks at what you can do if your home is overcrowded, how to deal with mice, flies or other pest problem and what to do if your home is flooded.

If you are worried about the condition of your home, you can get advice from a Shelter advice centre, Citizens Advice or other local agency. Use the Advice Services Directory to find an agency near you.

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England
This content applies to Scotland only
Get advice if you're in England

  • Overcrowding

    Get the legal definition of overcrowding. Although you may think your home is too small for your family, it may not be legally overcrowded. What to do if your home is overcrowded.

  • Pests and vermin

    Your home may be uninhabitable if has pests and vermin such as cockroaches. Contact the council's environmental health department or a pest control firm.

  • Flooding

    This page looks at what you can do if you live in an area prone to flooding. It looks at what you can do to prepare for floods and how to cope if your home

Speak to a Shelter Scotland adviser

Call Shelter Scotland's free housing advice helpline

0808 800 4444
9am-5pm, Monday to Friday

Email an adviser

You can also email a housing adviser. We aim to respond within three working days.

Was this page helpful?