Repairs if you rent from the council, a housing association or housing co-op

Find out your rights if you are a council, housing association or housing cooperative tenant and your home needs repairs. This section also explains who has responsibility for different types of repairs, and what you can do if your landlord doesn't carry out repairs they are responsible for.

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England
This content applies to Scotland only
Get advice if you're in England

  • Responsibility for repairs

    This page explains who is responsible for repairs in council and housing association tenancies.

  • Getting the council to do repairs

    What you need to do if you rent from the council or a housing association or cooperative and your home needs repair work done. The right to repair scheme covers repairs that cost £350 or

  • Refusal to repair

    Most councils and housing associations will carry out repairs as soon as they know about them. However, if your landlord refuses to carry out the repairs, there are several things you can do.

  • While the council is doing repairs

    This page looks at problems which may arise while repairs are being carried out, including what you can do if the repairs are disruptive.

  • Repairs not done properly

    Your landlord should make sure that repair work is done properly. If repairs aren't done correctly, or it causes damage to your belongings you may be able to complain and claim compensation.

Speak to a Shelter Scotland adviser

Call Shelter Scotland's free housing advice helpline

0808 800 4444
9am-5pm, Monday to Friday

Email an adviser

You can also email a housing adviser. We aim to respond within three working days.

Was this page helpful?