Taking Court Action Against Your Landlord for Repairs

If your landlord refuses to carry out essential repairs, it may be possible to take them to the sheriff court. This section explains who should consider court action, and how court action may help.

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England
This content applies to Scotland only
Get advice if you're in England

  • Before taking court action

    Before taking your landlord to court over repairs, make sure you have exhausted every other possibility.

  • Using the courts

    If your landlord won't do repairs or has started but not finished, you may be able to raise a claim in court. There is a kind of claim for when you want them to do

  • Abatement orders

    If disrepair in your home is damaging your health or the health of your household, you can apply to the sheriff court for an abatement order. If the order is granted, your landlord has to

  • Compensation

    If your landlord has failed to carry out essential repairs to your home within a reasonable time, you may be entitled to claim compensation.  

Speak to a Shelter Scotland adviser

Call Shelter Scotland's free housing advice helpline

0808 800 4444
9am-5pm, Monday to Friday

Email an adviser

You can also email a housing adviser. We aim to respond within three working days.

Was this page helpful?