Skip to main content

Search our website:

Search our website by keyword

You are searching the housing advice section of our website. You can also search the whole site.

Found 794 results for "housing advice"

  • Advice finder

    Advice finder. Use this directory to find local advice services that can help you in person. ... Whatever your problem, getting advice might help you solve it. An adviser can:.

  • Leaving home in a hurry

    Ways to make things easier if you need to leave home in a hurry. Speak to your council's housing department, where you should ask to make a homeless application.

  • Top 10 questions

    Need expert advice? Read the top 10 questions we get asked here at Shelter, and the answers our advisers have given.

  • Advice topics: Scotland

    Shelter Scotland has expert housing advice about renting, mortgages and repairs, as well as a range of other housing issues.

  • Renting rights

    If you rent your home rather than owning it, you will have a tenancy. A tenancy is a right to live in a property. There are several different kinds of tenancy, and your rights will depend on which kind you have. In this section you can find out which tenancy you have and what rights this gives you.

  • Living Together - Common Law Rights

    If you live with a partner your cohabitation rights depend on if you rent or own your home and if you are married or in a civil partnership. There's no common law marriage in Scotland.

  • Where to get help and housing advice near you

    Access help and legal advice if you are worried about your home and live in Scotland. Discover organisations who offer advice services for free or at low cost.Get advice in person and by phone.

  • Glossary

    Use our glossary to find the meaning of common technical terms in housing, homelessness and more

  • Eviction of private tenants

    Check the eviction process private landlords must follow to evict you from your tenancy. For assured tenants, short assured tenants and regulated tenants.

  • Relationship breakdown advice

    This section gives advice to help you solve possible housing issues if you are separating from your husband, wife or partner. Your rights depend on several factors so see what your situation means you should do.

Was this page helpful?

This feedback tool can't offer advice. If you still need help, please call our free housing helpline on 0808 800 4444

Would you recommend Shelter Scotland's website to a friend, colleague or family member?
(0 - not at all likely, 10 - extremely likely)

Your feedback is being submitted

Success! Thank you for your feedback.

Sorry, there was a problem sending your feedback to us. Please try again or contact us via the website if this error persists.