Skip to main content

Search our website:

Search our website by keyword

You are searching the housing advice section of our website. You can also search the whole site.

Found 22 results for "small claims action"

  • Simple procedure actions

    Small claims is the simplest type of civil law case that sheriff courts can deal with.Check the process of raising and defending an action in a small claims court in Scotland.

  • Checklists

    Loads to think about? Don't forget the essentials.

  • Solicitors' fees and charges

    Solicitors can charge fees for their advice and representation. Depending on what your case is about, there may also be other costs. This page explains more.

  • Unprotected deposits

    Not all deposits need to be registered. This page explains which deposits don't need to be registered, what a deposit covers and how to get your deposit back.

  • Letting agencies

    Letting agencies are companies that can help you find private rented accommodation. Most agencies also manage the day-to-day parts of the tenancy for the owner.

  • Court action and repossession

    If your home is being repossessed then your lender will have to take you to court. This section tells you all you need to know about the repossession process.

  • Ordinary cause actions

    If your case involves a claim for more than £5,000 or is about an issue that involves complicated law (like divorce) it'll be dealt with under ordinary cause procedure. This page explains more.

  • Summary cause actions

    Summary cause procedure deals with claims £3,000 to £5,000. If your landlord is taking you to court to try and evict you, they must use the summary cause procedure.

  • Raising and defending actions in court

    If you are taking a case to court or defending a case, you need to know what to do, and what some technical legal terms mean, and this section can help.

  • Courts in Scotland

    There are several different courts in Scotland. All of them deal with different kinds of cases and have different powers. This page should explain which court is dealing with your case.

Was this page helpful?

This feedback tool can't offer advice. If you still need help, please call our free housing helpline on 0808 800 4444

Would you recommend Shelter Scotland's website to a friend, colleague or family member?
(0 - not at all likely, 10 - extremely likely)

Your feedback is being submitted

Success! Thank you for your feedback.

Sorry, there was a problem sending your feedback to us. Please try again or contact us via the website if this error persists.