Housing if you have special requirements

Sometimes having a home of your own is not enough. If you think that you need help or adaptations so that you can stay in your home, or you're considering moving to a home where you can receive help or that is more suitable for your needs, this section will help you look at your options.

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England
This content applies to Scotland only
Get advice if you're in England

  • Community care assessments

    Community care assessment will identify any help and support you need to make your life easier and keep you living in your home.

  • Housing support

    Housing support is help that is provided to someone to manage on a day to day basis whilst they are living in their own home.

  • Care at home

    If you are finding it difficult to manage at home, it is possible to get your home adapted so that it is suitable, so that you can stay in your home.

  • Sheltered housing

    Sheltered housing gives older people the independence of their own flat with security of an alarm system and warden. Find out more about sheltered housing.

  • Care homes

    Residential or nursing homes are also known as care homes. This page provides a brief guide if you are considering your care options.

  • Hostels and foyers

    Hostels and foyers (young people accommodation) can offer support to people in need, find out more about help and support here.

Speak to a Shelter Scotland adviser

Call Shelter Scotland's free housing advice helpline

0808 800 4444
9am-5pm, Monday to Friday

Email an adviser

You can also email a housing adviser. We aim to respond within three working days.

Was this page helpful?