Repairs and bad conditions

Find out how to get repairs carried out in rented and owner-occupied housing and how to improve your accommodation if it's unsuitable for your needs. This section also looks at health and safety issues along with any grants and loans that may be available to help you pay for repairs.

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England
This content applies to Scotland only
Get advice if you're in England

  • Repairs in council housing

    Find out your rights if you are a tenant and your home needs repairs. Also explains who has responsibility and what you can do if your landlord doesn't carry out repairs they are responsible for.

  • Repairs in private rented housing

    Your rights if you are a private tenant and your home needs repairing. Find out who has responsibility and what you can do if your landlord refuses to carry out repairs.

  • Court action over repairs

    If your landlord refuses to carry out essential repairs, it may be possible to take legal action in the Sheriff Court. This section explains who should consider court action, and how court action may help.

  • Repairs for home owners

    If you own your home, you are responsible for maintaining it and carrying out any repair work. How you can keep your home in good condition and what to do if repair work is required.

  • Repairs in common areas

    If you're a homeowner and you live in a flat, you and your neighbours can work together to keep your building well maintained. What you should do if repair work needs to be carried out

  • Getting adaptations done

    Your home may not be suitable if you can't get around or use all the facilities. You may be able to get adaptations done to solve this problem - grants may be available.

  • Repairs for agricultural tenants

    Your rights to get repairs done and to carry out improvements if you have an agricultural, limited duration or short limited duration tenancy. Both you and your landlord have responsibilities.

  • Home Improvement and Repair Grants

    If you need to carry out repair, improvement or adaptation work to your home, you may be able to get a grant or other help from the council. It might be practical help or advice,

  • Home safety

    How to keep your home safe. Includes fire, gas and electricity safety, and advice on preventing accidents and what to do in an emergency. It also looks at preventing crime and security tips.

  • Other housing problems

    This section looks at housing problems which make your home unsuitable to live in. It looks at what to do if your it's overcrowded, how to deal with pests such as mice or flies and

  • Scottish Building Regulations

    If you carry out repairs or improvements, you may need a building warrant and/or planning permission. It's best to check with the council's building standards department and planning authority first.

  • Compulsory purchase orders

    The council, Scottish Government or a utility company may want to buy your home to build a road, or because your home needs to be demolished. They need a compulsory purchase order.

Speak to a Shelter Scotland adviser

Call Shelter Scotland's free housing advice helpline

0808 800 4444
9am-5pm, Monday to Friday

Email an adviser

You can also email a housing adviser. We aim to respond within three working days.

Was this page helpful?