Skip to main content

View our coronavirus (COVID-19) housing advice

Legal representation

If you've got a housing problem and you need advice on your legal rights, you may need to see a lawyer. If your case is going to court or if your action is to do with eviction or rent arrears at the First Tier Tribunal Housing and Property Chamber, you'll probably need a lawyer to represent you. This section explains what you can do yourself, why you might need a lawyer, how you can find one and what different kinds of lawyers do.

If you need legal advice urgently, don't panic. You should be able to get legal representation at short notice, either from a law centre or from a duty solicitor in your local sheriff court. Some of the larger sheriff courts have in-court advice projects.

If you receive official papers telling you that you have to go to court in a hurry, don't just ignore them - this could make the problem worse. Don't pretend that you didn't receive the papers either because that won't work in most cases. If you're in this situation, get further advice immediately.

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're in England

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us