Skip to main content
Shelter Logo

Eviction from your home

Your landlord must follow a strict legal process to evict you. In some cases, you can stop or delay the eviction.

Your rights depend on who you rent from and what type of tenancy you have. If you're not sure, use our tenancy checker.

Eviction by a private landlord or letting agent

Private residential tenancy evictions if you moved in on or after 1 December 2017.

Assured or short assured tenancy evictions if you moved in before 1 December 2017.

Regulated tenancy evictions if you moved in before 2 January 1989.

Challenging eviction by a private landlord

How to stop or delay eviction

Your rights if your landlord is selling

What to do if your landlord tries to force you out

Compensation if you were wrongfully evicted from a private residential tenancy

Eviction from social housing

Council or housing association evictions

Stopping eviction for abandonment

Rent arrears and antisocial behaviour

Stopping eviction for rent arrears

Stopping eviction for antisocial behaviour

Common law tenancy evictions

If you live with your landlord

If you live in student accommodation

Mobile home site evictions

If you live in a mobile home

If you're a Gypsy Traveller

Agricultural tenancy evictions

If you have a 1991 Act agricultural tenancy

If you have a limited duration or short limited duration tenancy

If you're a crofting tenant

Last updated: 3 October 2023

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England