Housing costs and money help

If you're dealing with debt or other money problems, you can get free independent advice. Check where to get debt advice and how an adviser can help.

Problems with rent

Dealing with rent arrears

Check if your landlord can increase your rent

Withholding rent

Asking for a rent reduction

Benefits that can help pay rent

Universal Credit has replaced Housing Benefit for most people, unless you're pension age or you live in certain types of temporary housing.

Applying for Universal Credit

Applying for Housing Benefit

Applying for Discretionary Housing Payment

Getting your benefits backdated

What to do if your benefits do not cover your rent

How your situation affects your benefits

If you rent privately – the Local Housing Allowance

If you have spare rooms – the bedroom tax

If you live with other adults – non-dependant deductions

If you're a student

If you rent from a family member

If you're away from home temporarily

When you can get benefits on 2 homes

Check if you can get extra support

Help to pay energy bills

Crisis grants for emergency costs

Community care grants to help you live independently

Budgeting loans and advances for large costs

If you're a young person leaving care

Tenancy deposits and deposit schemes

Help to pay your deposit

Paying a tenancy deposit

Getting your deposit back

Going to the tribunal if your deposit was not protected

Council tax

Dealing with council tax arrears

Check if you can pay less council tax

Check who has to pay council tax


Dealing with mortgage arrears

Getting a mortgage

Last updated: 13 June 2023

Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.

This content applies to Scotland only.

Get advice if you're in England