Skip to main content

Eviction from registered social landlord property

Housing associations and housing co-ops have to follow specific legal procedures to evict tenants. This is the same eviction procedure that councils must follow. There are different eviction procedures for some housing associations that are run as private businesses. Check with your landlord and get advice if you're not sure what kind of tenancy you have.

Tenants of registered social landlords

If you rent from a housing association or housing co-operative that is registered with the Scottish Housing Regulator, you will have the same rights as someone who is renting from the council. These landlords are called registered social landlords (RSLs). Go to the section on eviction from council accommodation to find out how the eviction process works for registered social landlords' tenants.

Tenants of private sector housing associations

Some housing associations are run as businesses, and are not registered with the Scottish Housing Regulator (SHR). In this case, your landlord will need to follow the eviction procedures for a private tenancy. The Scottish Federation of Housing Associations (SFHA) has a list of registered housing associations. If your housing association is not on the SFHA's list of registered housing associations, it will probably be a private sector housing association.

Getting advice to prevent eviction

If your landlord wants to evict you, you should get advice immediately. The eviction process usually takes a few months, and whatever stage of the process you're at, it's always worth getting advice. An adviser may be able to help get the eviction stopped or delayed. If this is not possible they may be able to help you to start finding new accommodation.

Scotland map Housing laws differ between Scotland and England.
This content applies to Scotland only.
Get advice if you're England

Are you homeless or at risk of becoming homeless?

I need help

The important points

  • If you are living in housing association or housing co-operative accommodation, you probably have a short Scottish secure tenancy or a Scottish short assured tenancy.
  • If your landlord is not registered with the Scottish Housing Regulator, you will probably have a private tenancy
  • Your rights and what your landlord has to do to evict you depend on your tenancy type.
  • Your landlord must follow certain legal procedures, give you written notice and have reasons for evicting you. The only situation they would not need to give a reason is if your tenancy is coming to an end.

If you're still looking for help, try searching, or find out how to contact us

Was this page helpful?

This feedback tool can't offer advice. If you still need help, please call our free housing helpline on 0808 800 4444

Would you recommend Shelter Scotland's website to a friend, colleague or family member?
(0 - not at all likely, 10 - extremely likely)

Your feedback is being submitted

Success! Thank you for your feedback.

If you'd like to hear more about our work at Shelter Scotland, you can sign up to receive updates on our campaigns page.

Sorry, there was a problem sending your feedback to us. Please try again or contact us via the website if this error persists.

The fight isn't over - support us this summer

Are you with us campaign image showing a family
We’re fighting for a Scotland where no one chooses between food and rent, and no one sleeps on the streets. Are you with us? Join our campaign.
It’s a disgrace that people are still homeless in Scotland today.
Find out more about volunteering with Shelter Scotland
Volunteer with Shelter Scotland
Have you had a bad housing experience? Tell us about your story.
Share your story of a bad housing experience